It is really easy to set up the CytoSMART® Lux3 BR system. All you need are these items:
- An incubator
- The CytoSMART® Lux3 BR device
- USB cable
- A Windows 10 laptop with a USB 3.0 port
- An internet connection
Be sure to remove any wrapping before placing the CytoSMART® Lux3 BR inside the incubator. Also, clean the device with a damp lint-free cloth and IPA or EtOH (70%).
Important: Do not use acetone to clean the device as it will damage the antimicrobial surface coating, and do not autoclave the device.
- Turn on the Windows 10 laptop, connect it to internet, and make sure it is connected to a power plug.
- Download the Lux3 BR app from https://download.cytosmart.com and install it on the laptop. This is only necessary the first time you use the device.
- In case you have purchased a laptop at CytoSMART, the app is pre-installed.
- Check if the incubator has a cable port in the back.
- If so, guide the USB cable through it.
- If no port is present, place the cable between the door and frame of the incubator.
- After the cable is properly guided, place the CytoSMART® Lux3 BR inside the incubator and plug in the cable.
- Plug the other end of the USB cable in a USB 3.0 port of the laptop.
- Start the app by double clicking on the icon.
Important: Be careful when guiding the cable between the door and frame of the incubator. The door hinges can cause a cable breach, which is not covered by warranty.
To check if the device is active, open the incubator to see if the CytoSMART® Lux3 BR is illuminated:
- Green light from the light arc: the device is active and an image is visible on the live screen.
- No light: the device is inactive. The device is powered down, as it is in between imaging or not properly connected.
It does not matter which culture vessel you use. The CytoSMART® Lux3 BR is compatible with a variety of culture vessels, including T-flasks, well plates, petri dishes and flat tubes. Please place the CytoSMART® Lux3 BR in the incubator with the cable port facing the back of the incubator. This way the image in the live view moves in the same direction as the culture vessel when the culture vessel is moved on the CytoSMART® Lux3 BR.
Important: Registration of your device is required before you can start imaging! The next section will help you with this.
To get started (Fig. 3.1), you can “Register” (Fig. 3.1C) to create a personal account using an email address and a password. In case you already have a CytoSMART account, you can click “Add another account” (Fig. 3.1B) which will lead to a different screen (Fig. 3.2) where you can provide these previously created credentials and then “Login” (Fig. 3.2A). Once you have logged in, this account is going to appear as an option in the startup screen (Fig. 3.1A).
Do you want to create a new account? Select “Create new account” (Fig. 3.2B) from the menu.
Fig. 3.1. Startup screen. A) Select an existing account. B) Add another account. C) Register for a new account.
Fig. 3.2. Login screen. A) Login into your account with the given credentials. B) Register for a new account.
Activate the Device
After you have logged in for the first time, you need to register the CytoSMART® Lux3 BR. The next step is to add to an organization (Fig. 3.3), either by selecting an existing organization (Fig. 3.3A) or by typing in the name of a new organization (Fig. 3.3B), e.g. company name or research group. Other CytoSMART® products can be added to this organization.
Fig. 3.3. Selecting an organization. A) Select existing organization. B) Define a new organization.
In the next screen (Fig. 3.4), you agree to activate your device. When this step is complete, you will see a live image of your cells, and get a notification in the top right corner.
Fig. 3.4. Activate device.